[Peace-discuss] ALEC in Chicago Thursday; and 11am CDT *today* Hiroshima Day National Teleseminar -- The Abolition of Nuclear Weapons and the Abolition of War -- David Culp and Tad Daley -- NOON EDT -- Join Us!

Stuart Levy salevy at illinois.edu
Tue Aug 6 15:11:11 UTC 2013

Two announcements -

**Today*, **11am Central time* Aug 6th, the 68th anniversary of the
bombing of Hiroshima, there's a nationwide call-in on nuclear
disarmament and anti-nuclear-weapon activism. See below.  Sorry for the
short notice. The number is 415 671 4335, backup number 206 402 0110,
and the code to enter is 862166#.

Thursday, Aug 8th: ALEC, the American Legislative Exchange Council,
which under the guise of an educational nonprofit is a pro-corporate
lobbying group on all sorts of issues: from "right-to-work" union
busting, to private prisons, to "tort reform" (avoiding corp.
responsibility for harm to consumers), to stand-your-ground laws, and on
and on.  ALEC's annual meeting is in Chicago on Thursday Aug 8th.  A
number of groups are gathering to protest them.   At least a couple of
people - Paul, Sandra - have been talking about driving up to Chicago to
join them.  Are others interested too?