[Peace-discuss] University of Michigan: Reverse decision to disinvite Alice Walker

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Aug 16 16:59:57 UTC 2013

~ Here's what the UM said about the cancelation:

'In an apology on the [UM Center for the Education for Women] Web site, the director, Gloria D.Thomas, said she had withdrawn the invitation “because I did not think Ms. Walker would be the optimum choice for the celebratory nature of our 50th-anniversary event.” She said she hoped the center would be able to co-sponsor a future lecture by Ms. Walker that “would be focused on a more substantial discussion of human-rights issues.”'

~ And here's (part of?) the reason why (from a comment on The Chronicle of Higher Education):

"This whole problem is a result of mealy mouthedness on the part of the University of Michigan, perpetuated by CHE. Earlier this year,  Ms. Walker on BBC radio and then on her blog revealed that she believes blue-eyed white people are reptilian space aliens sent to enslave the rest of the earth's population (space aliens of a different species, by the way). The moon is a vast mind-control device. No, I'm not making this up.

'Facing the probability of ridicule, and the possibility Ms. Walker might take the opportunity of her visit to expand on these theories, Michigan cancelled. Their mistake was not to make it clear why they cancelled, which could have been done delicately but unequivocally, perhaps with a pious wish that Ms. Walker recovers speedily and fully..."

~ Source: <http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/prizewinning-author-alice-walker-gives-support-to-david-icke-on-desert-island-discs-8622648.html>.

--CGE