[Peace-discuss] whistleblowing as a tactic

"E. Wayne Johnson 朱稳森" ewj at pigsqq.org
Sun Aug 18 07:16:53 UTC 2013

blogger danah boyd writes:

https://medium.com/surveillance-state/9a53415933a9

People growing up with the internet understand that information is
power. Those who’ve watched protests in recent years know that
traditional physical civil disobedience doesn’t create the iconic
narratives and images that it once did. And so, not surprisingly, what
it means to protest is changing. This is further complicated by an
increased obsession with secrecy — secret courts, secret laws, secret
practices — that make using the rule of law to serve as a check to power
ineffective. Thus, questioning authority by leaking information that
shows that power is being abused becomes a more valuable and notable
form of civil disobedience. As with all forms of civil disobedience,
there are significant consequences. But when secrecy is what’s being
challenged, the biggest risk is not being beaten by a police officer for
staging an event, but being disappeared or silenced by the institutions
being challenged or embarrassed. Therefore, as much as I hate to accept
it, becoming a diplomatic incident is extraordinarily powerful not just
for self-protection, but also as a way to make sure that the media
doesn’t lose interest in the issues at play.

I want to live in a society that is willing to critically interrogate
how power is operationalized and how institutions and the rule of law
function as a check to power. To me, this is an essential aspect of
democracy. Unchecked power is how dictatorships emerge. If the rule of
law is undermined and secrecy becomes the status quo, it becomes
necessary for new civil disobedience tactics to emerge. And, more than
the content of the leaks, this is what I think that we’re watching unfold.