[Peace-discuss] Hans Blix: Obama refusal to wait for UN inspectors echoes Bush/Iraq

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Tue Aug 27 21:25:33 UTC 2013

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Global-Viewpoint/2013/0827/America-is-not-the-world-s-policeman-in-Syria-or-Iraq

*
Nathan Gardels:* Based on your experience, and what you've seen in recent
days, do you believe the verdict of the Western intelligence agencies that
Assad used chemical weapons is credible and reliable?

*Hans Blix:* The indications are certainly in the direction of the use of
chemical weapons. Also, the circumstantial evidence points to the Assad
regime carrying out the use of such weapons.

However, since the Western powers have asked for United Nations
inspections – and Syria <http://www.csmonitor.com/tags/topic/Syria> has
accepted and inspectors have been put in the field – we all should wait to
see the report of the inspectors before action is taken.

As we’ve seen before, the political dynamics are running ahead of due
process.

*Gardels:* An echo of Iraq under President
Bush<http://www.csmonitor.com/tags/topic/George+W.+Bush>
?

*Blix:* In a way, yes. Then, too, the Americans and their allies asked for
inspections for mass destruction weapons. Then, too, they said, “forget it,
we have enough evidence on our own to act. We are the world police. Our
publics are demanding immediate action!”

I do not go along with the statement by the US that “it is too late” for
Syria now to cooperate. That is a poor excuse for taking military action.

[...]

--
Robert Naiman
Policy Director