[Peace-discuss] calling Congress on Syria, and what should *we* do locally? - was: ask Rep. Davis to sign the Rigell letter on Syria war powers - closes noon ET

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 17:59:48 UTC 2013

If you missed Bob's note from this morning - I did - Friends Committee
on National Legislation urges everyone to call our congresspeople now -
see below.

Also, I hear that Richard Durbin will be coming to Champaign this
Saturday, and speaking in West Side Park on immigration reform, at
2PM.   Maybe he could hear that we don't want our military to attack
Syria, too.

Further: *shall we have a special demonstration?*  I'll suggest a couple
of times.   What do people think, and who could come?

    either Saturday, something like 3-4, Main and Neil - like our usual
demonstration, but after the Durbin event
    or      Friday, say 5pm, say at the Veterans' Memorial in downtown
Urbana, and see if we can get any press to come?

*Call Congress ASAP! No Military Attack on Syria!*
The Obama Administration now seems poised for a military attack on
Syria. Most members of Congress have been silent, while some avidly beat
the drum for war. A growing number of Congressional Representatives are
rightfully demanding that there must be debate and Congressional
Authorization before any action is taken.
Our Senators and Congressional Representatives need to hear from us now.
Let them know that constituents are strongly opposed to yet another
military intervention, which can only generate more violence and
regional instability. */Demand that they/**/speak out now (before it is
too late) and make it clear to the White House that a military attack on
Syria is no solution to the crisis. /*
Since Congress is in recess, it is probably most effective to call
Representatives in the their district offices and US Senators in their
State offices.
/TME /To*find out their phone numbers*, use this helpful FCNL guide. (Be
sure to click /*contact, *once you find your officials square)/
//
http://capwiz.com/fconl/directory/congdir.tt?action=myreps_form
Please forward this message as widely and quickly as possible.