[Peace-discuss] Flyer for AWARE demo 12/7

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Sat Dec 7 22:24:01 UTC 2013

AWARE ~ The Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort of Champaign-Urbana ~ December 2013

PEACE MAY BREAK OUT IN THE MIDDLE EAST
BUT ILLINOIS CONGRESSMEN ARE TRYING TO STOP IT
They're Working for the 1% Who Profit From War, Not the 99% Who Don't

The American people - who want US troops brought home – stopped President Obama from bombing Syria in September. (The British people did the same thing with their right-wing Prime Minister.) Now international diplomacy has opened the way to an agreement with Syria's ally, Iran.

In fact the US government is only pretending that it is concerned about Iran's developing a nuclear weapon. Israel, America's chief ally (our “stationary aircraft carrier” for US military control of the Mideast), has hundreds of high-tech nuclear weapons, and the US military has many of its own in the region, at sea and on US bases in the region. (There are more than 1,000 U.S. military bases in more than 150 countries around the world. Why?)

Even if the Iranians were to develop a nuclear weapon (they aren't) it's ridiculous to think that they would dare use it offensively: that would invite their nuclear destruction by the US and Israel – and the Israeli government at least seems to be looking for such an excuse.

What the US government is actually concerned about is control of Iran's immense energy resources, oil and natural gas. We overthrew a democratic government in Iran sixty years ago and installed a dictator who would do our bidding, but the Iranians finally threw him out in 1979. Ever since then, the US has continued to use ruthless methods to try to control the country.

Control and not just access to oil is what the US has demanded since WWII. Control of Mideast energy gives the US an unparalleled advantage over our economic rivals in Europe and Asia. One of our favorite weapons to ensure that control has been the imposition of trade and economic sanctions on countries in the region. These kill the weakest first: in 1996 the Clinton administration said that killing half a million children in Iraq with sanctions was “worth it.”

Now, in spite of the recent agreement with Iran, member of Congress are pushing for even more punitive sanctions on Iran – which the agreement eases slightly – and in their lead are Illinois Senators Mark Kirk and Dick Durbin, and 13th District Representative Rodney Davis!

It's time for Americans to say no to the child-killers in the White House and Congress – particularly because we sent them there and so are responsible for what they do. We need to tell them what to do – including not to attack Iran. Contact the president (202-456-1111) and your representatives in Congress (202-224-3121) by phone or online and give them your opinion.
President Obama: <http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/submit-questions-and-comments>
Senator Durbin: <http://www.durbin.senate.gov/contact.cfm>
Senator Kirk: <http://www.kirk.senate.gov/?p=comment_on_legislation>
Representative Davis: <https://rodneydavis.house.gov/contact/email-me>

AWARE meets every Sunday evening 5-6pm at the White Horse Inn on John St. in Champaign, near the UIUC campus. Members and friends of AWARE also present a weekly hour of discussion on the war, AWARE on the Air, Tuesdays at 10pm on Urbana Public Television <urbanapublictelevision.org>; it's recorded at noon on Tuesdays: to participate, call 217-359-9466.

AWARE honors those who reveal the government's crimes - Manning, Assange, Snowden and others - and are persecuted by the Obama administration for it.