[Peace-discuss] letter to Sens. Kirk and Durbin, on the sanctions-not-negotiations-for-Iran bill S. 1881

Stuart Levy salevy at illinois.edu
Mon Dec 23 18:25:22 UTC 2013

I just responded to a call by Americans for Peace Now and sent a message
to Senators Kirk and Durbin on the sanctions-not-negotiations-with-Iran
bill, S. 1881...

APN's call is here:
http://wfc2.wiredforchange.com/o/8682/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=9490

and I edited their suggested message, to the following - not a perfect
message but I hope it may be something they can hear.
[Sen. Kirk is an original sponsor of the bill; at present, Durbin hasn't
signed onto it, though 33 senators have, including 14 Dems despite the
White House's opposition to it.]

As an American Jew, I support a healthy, prosperous and just Israel, as
part of a peaceful Middle East.   I write to call on you to _reject_ S.
1881, the mis-named "Nuclear Weapon Free Iran Act of 2013." Please do
not co-sponsor this bill; if you've already co-sponsored it, I urge you,
in the strongest terms, to retract your co-sponsorship promptly and
publicly.

The bill appears designed deliberately to undermine the international
initiative on Iran launched last month.  It sends a message that some in
the Senate, joined by outside organizations promoting this legislation,
may prefer war to multilateral cooperation, diplomacy and a negotiated
final agreement with Iran, regardless of its terms, and that the US is
negotiating in bad faith.

Now is the time to give diplomacy a chance and, in doing so, to test
whether the interim agreement can lead to a final accord that verifiably
limits Iran's nuclear development to the peaceful program which they
have told the world they are pursuing, as permitted by their signing of
the NPT.

In sending the message that sanctions will continue to be tightened even
before negotiations have had a chance to proceed, supporters of the bill
are, ironically, making common cause with hardliners in Tehran, who also
prefer confrontation to negotiations and compromise.   But they put
themselves at odds with most Americans, who do not want more war.

For the first time in decades, there is a historic and promising
diplomatic engagement with Iran, and the entire world is focused on the
importance of resolving concerns about Iran's nuclear program and
nuclear ambitions. Now is the time for the Senate to stand up to outside
pressure, and get behind the efforts of the Obama Administration and the
international community to achieve a negotiated final agreement that
does just that.