[Peace-discuss] Letter in News-Gazette

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 31 02:09:30 UTC 2013

I will keep my eyes on the road from now on and try not rip anyone a new one, in Greco-Roman fashion or otherwise.

John Dewey said that politics in America/capitalism is the shadow cast by big business over society. That extends to government and its employees, who are always being told that what they produce with their labor somehow detracts from rather than adds to our societal wealth. Some of them perhaps even believe it, at least for occupations other than their own. Overall, what most government workers do--outside of the military (which of course has been greatly privatized)--is provide services that the private sector hasn't yet figured out how to completely marketize and profit from. If government employment doesn't always attract our "best and brightest" it's perhaps because the "better educated" are taught to think their education hasn't been worth it unless it's reflected in their bank account/stock portfolio/vacation homes.

DG

Euripides and you don't get another pair?