[Peace-discuss] Should AWARE sign on to statement against a new Champaign County jail?

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 18:15:00 UTC 2013

Question for AWARE: should we sign on to the statement below, even
though we won't have had time to discuss it in person?

C-U Citizens for Peace and Justice and others have been organizing
against Champaign County going forward with plans to build a new jail,
and looking instead at alternatives to incarceration and better ways to
protect public safety.

On Feb. 21st, 7PM, the County Board will meet with the jail-needs
consultant.   CUCPJ will be reading statements of support from local
organizations.   We could be one of them.

Should AWARE sign on to this?   Unfortunately it came out too late to be
considered at our Sunday meeting.

Proposed process: *If anyone is at all uncomfortable with either the
statement below, **or with our making a decision by e-mail rather than
in person*, then I think we should decline.   If no one objects and we
get at least as many positive responses as we'd get at a well-attended
meeting (say eight people), then we can say Yes.   How about that?

You can write back either to the list, or to me.