[Peace-discuss] Library and Information Science, the peace movement, and the University

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 03:06:27 UTC 2013

Dear Peace-Discuss,

I see this as having a connection to this list, but mostly because the
students, faculty, and graduates from the program have been very
active in the local peace movement.

The Graduate School of Library and Information Science is a valued program.

GSLIS has been part of the University of Illinois as its own school,
i.e. not part of a larger school like the huge Liberal Arts and
Sciences. GSLIS' autonomy is a vital aspect of its value to the
community*.

The University of Illinois repeatedly looks at GSLIS and considers
combining it with other parts of the University. They want to "cut
costs", have fewer voices that the Administration has to listen to,
and fewer deans. I think such a folding of GSLIS would crush most of
its value.

But then I have a bias for GSLIS, my alma mater.

Does anyone on the peace-discuss list have strong opinions on the
issue of GSLIS and the University of Illinois?

* by community I mean that I think GSLIS is a valuable part of
Champaign, Urbana, the University, Champaign County, the State of
Illinois, the United States, and the world as a whole.

-- karen medina
"The really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark Twain