[Peace-discuss] A neoliberal account of Haiti?

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 13 14:46:14 UTC 2013

The problem is that sometimes, for example, people take a notion like the culture of poverty and collapse into a stinking racist and morally judgmental mess. Race being a marginally scientific and often misused concept, it slipslides into culture, which in turn slipslides into moral nature, allegedly determined by race and culture. Pretty soon you end up with Charles Murray, etc.

DG

convenient, neoliberals explain history by various kinds of
determinism--resources, technology, markets. When that doesn't work,
apologists can always fall back on cultural/moral determinants, which
amounts to racism.