[Peace-discuss] letter in the Washington Post: Sept. 11 authorization not applicable to Mali

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Jan 20 19:41:19 UTC 2013

Of course you're right, Bob, but I doubt the situation will lead our newly inaugurated chief magistrate to exclaim, "Damn! I'd really like to help kill people in Mali, but I just can't do it because I lack legal authorization!"

In the real world, the French descent on Mali - like the French descent on Libya - was clearly coordinated (not to put too fine a point on it) by the Pentagon. The US (particularly Democratic presidents) continues to employ NATO (including the UK and France, under two different governments) as its dogsbody for its Eurasian (and African) imperial advances. The Malian advance is part of the long-term US strategy to encourage war in resource-rich areas in order to establish US control: force by its own military or that of clients is the US comparative advantage. (If peace broke out, the US would lose its excuse for imperial control of these regions.) The extension of the policy to Africa (in opposition to the Chinese) concerns both logistics (approaches to the Mideast, the reason the US has been destroying domestic governments in Somalia for a generation) and African resources (e.g., Niger uranium, basis of the French nuclear industry - and of course the "yellow-cake" propaganda).

Terrorism/Al Qaeda is the US propaganda name for domestic resistance to US imperialism. The name used to be Communism, until the Communists went away, and the US was left with a serious PR problem, which 9/11 largely solved for them, although most people now see that the excuse is getting a bit threadbare. The US planners are again facing Colin Powell's enemies-gap (JCS Chairman Colin Powell to Army Times in April 1991: “Think hard about it, I’m running out of demons. I’m running out of villains ... I’m down to Castro and Kim Il Sung"), which they mean to fill with "terrorists" throughout the world.

Perhaps the filthiest secret is that the mass killing Obama's doing to fight terrorism is in the interest of only his 1% patrons - especially arms ("defense") and energy interests - and the geopolitical tactic of control of (not just access to) energy resources.  The rest of the world - Americans as well as others - simply suffer in varying degrees in this international class struggle.

--CGE