[Peace-discuss] could we get Rep. Rodney Davis to support some reasonable gun control measures?

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Fri Jan 25 20:42:09 UTC 2013

Here's what the President asked Congress to do:
---
Eliminate loopholes and require background checks for all gun sales

Reinstate the prohibition on high-capacity magazines

Renew and strengthen the ban on assault weapons

Create serious penalties for gun traffickers

Get armor-piercing bullets off the streets by prohibiting the
possession and transfer of this dangerous ammunition

Keep 15,000 cops on the street

Further research on gun violence

Help schools develop and implement comprehensive emergency management plans

Remove restrictions that require ATF to authorize importation of
dangerous weapons simply because of their age
---

It seems likely that whether any of these things happen and if so
which ones will be significantly determined by "swing Republicans" in
the House, Republicans representing purple districts, like our own
Rep. Rodney Davis.

What if we could generate some phone calls from the district in
support of the reasonable gun control measures the President has
proposed?

People could say: "I urge you to support the reasonable gun-control
measures the President has proposed," and/or they could pick specific
things from the list and advocate for those. I did both, singling out
background checks for all sales and cracking down on gun traffickers.
I chose these in part because they seemed to me the ones with the most
overlap with what people in Mexico are complaining out in terms of
gun-running from the United States that is fueling violence there.

Here's the number for Rep. Davis' Washington office:

202-225-2371

--
Robert Naiman
Policy Director