[Peace-discuss] interview about the book: Kill Anything That Moves: The Real American War in Vietnam

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 21:38:37 UTC 2013

>From what I understand, the documents he based part of the book on
were from a group that was in charge of checking the veracity of
reports. That group had verified over 100 reported incidents, some of
which were worse than the tales of My Lai.

Then, he interviewed veterans who, like the person Ron quoted, "were there."

I have no doubt that many people who "were there" did not see any such
incidents.

However, I do believe that the base of this book proves beyond the
shadow of a doubt, that My Lai was not completely isolated. There may
have only been 100 events, but that is still much more than 1.

-karen evans levy

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:08 PM, Szoke, Ronald Duane
<r-szoke at illinois.edu> wrote:
> It may be instructive to read the comments/reviews on this book on Amazon, which are dramatically polarized: high praise by some, bitter denunciation by an equal number of others -- frequently using the "I was THERE!" line.
>
> One of the milder ones:
> "Clearly, Mr. Turse made a big mistake in his judgement and conclusion. He needs to embrace the truth which is that incidents such as My Lai were, indeed, isolated events caused by errors in judgement and/or the heat of battle. We can quibble over how many and who was involved, etc. However, to take a leap of even a thousand bad apples and apply that with his ridiculous broad brush to the over 2 million who served is pure fantasy.
>
> I know - I was there and did my duty with honor and respect just like many millions more.
>
> In summary, there is one thing I regret regarding this entire matter: The fact that I cannot rate his work with ZERO STARS!!!"
>
> -- Ron

-- karen medina
"The really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark Twain