[Peace-discuss] AWARE demonstration this Sat., and an article we might pass out on Mali and the War on Etc.

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 09:04:56 UTC 2013

AWARE will be back on the streets this Saturday - yep, Groundhog Day.
Please come by if you can, and stand to protest the endless repetition
of endless war....

     2-4PM, Saturday, Feb. 2nd, at the usual corner of Main and Neil in
downtown Champaign.

At Sunday's meeting we talked about this month's message.   Looking at
the extension of the war on etc. into a Western intervention in Mali
could be a good way to go.

Some quotes from a review of this situation by Seumas Milne in the
Guardian --
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/22/mali-fastest-blowback-war-on-terror/
*    "Mali: the fastest blowback yet in this disastrous war on terror*"
/    French intervention in Mali will fuel terrorism, but the west's
buildup in Africa is also driven by the struggle for resources/

I think this one could make a decent flyer.

> You'd think the war on terror had been a huge success, the way the
> western powers keep at it, Groundhog Day-style. In reality, it has
> been a disastrous failure, even in its own terms -- which is why the
> Obama administration felt it had to change its name to "overseas
> contingency operations", until US defence secretary Leon Panetta
> revived the old title this week.
>
> Instead of fighting terror, it has fuelled it everywhere it's been
> unleashed: from Afghanistan to Pakistan, from Iraq to Yemen, spreading
> it from Osama bin Laden's Afghan lairs eastwards to central Asia and
> westwards to North Africa -- as US, British and other western forces
> have invaded, bombed, tortured and kidnapped their way across the Arab
> and Muslim world for over a decade.
> The French may have been invited in by the Malian government. But it's
> a government brought to power by military coup last year, not one
> elected by Malians -- and whose troops are now trading atrocities and
> human rights abuses with the rebels.
>
> Only a political settlement, guaranteed by regional African forces,
> can end the conflict. Meanwhile, French president François Hollande
> says his country will be in Mali as long as it takes to "defeat
> terrorism in that part of Africa". All the experience of the past
> decade suggests that could be indefinitely -- as western intervention
> is likely to boost jihadist recruitment and turn groups with a
> regional focus towards western targets.
>
> All this is anyway about a good deal more than terrorism. Underlying
> the growing western military involvement in Africa -- from the spread
> of American bases under the US Africa Command to France's resumption
> of its post-colonial habit of routine armed intervention -- is a
> struggle for resources and strategic control, in the face of China's
> expanding economic role in the continent. In north and west Africa,
> that's not just about oil and gas, but also uranium in countries like
> Niger -- and Mali. Terrorism has long since become a catch-all cover
> for legitimising aggressive war.

-----

Another, somewhat longer article also worth reading is this from Glenn
Greenwald, also in the Guardian (& republished
<http://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/01/14-6> in Common Dreams on Jan
14th)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/14/mali-france-bombing-intervention-libya

    "*The Bombing of Mali Highlights All the Lessons of Western
Intervention*"
/   The west African nation becomes the eighth country in the last four
years alone where Muslims are killed by the west/

including

> As Owen Jones wrote in an excellent column
> <http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-war-in-libya-was-seen-as-a-success-now-here-we-are-engaging-with-the-blowback-in-mali-8449588.html>
> this morning in the Independent:
>
>     This intervention is itself the consequence of another.  The
>     Libyan war is frequently touted as a success story for liberal
>     interventionism. Yet the toppling of Muammar Gaddafi's
>     dictatorship had consequences that Western intelligence services
>     probably never even bothered to imagine. Tuaregs -- who
>     traditionally hailed from northern Mali -- made up a large portion
>     of his army.  When Gaddafi was ejected from power, they returned
>     to their homeland: sometimes forcibly so as black Africans came
>     under attack in post-Gaddafi Libya, an uncomfortable fact largely
>     ignored by the Western media. . . . [T]he Libyan war was seen as a
>     success . . . and here we are now engaging with its catastrophic
>     blowback.
>
> Over and over, western intervention ends up - whether by ineptitude or
> design - sowing the seeds of further intervention. Given the massive
> instability still plaguing Libya as well as enduring anger over the
> Benghazi attack, how long will it be before we hear that bombing and
> invasions in that country are - once again - necessary to combat the
> empowered "Islamist" forces there: forces empowered as a result of the
> Nato overthrow of that country's government?