[Peace-discuss] Egypt Independence

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Jul 4 03:39:36 UTC 2013

John Kennedy, who made the first comment, was talking about himself - and others who held his office - although his job was to pretend he wasn't.

No other governmental office in the world has been responsible for any thing like the death and destruction accomplished by the US presidency since WWII.

"NOAM CHOMSKY: Let me tell you what I felt, and maybe some of the rest of you felt, when I saw the pictures of the Bush library presentation. There was a group of men standing there, former presidents, the ones that are alive. Every one of them is a major criminal. A major criminal. Obama is continuing the grand tradition - that shouldn’t be a great surprise ... the sentence that came to my mind at the time is actually from Thomas Jefferson, who said, 'I tremble for my country when I think that God is just, and some day will bring us to his judgment.' Well, if we can’t [bring] them to some kind of judgment either, if not in the courts, at least in public opinion, then it’s kind of like what Jeremy said: We’re not doing our duty just as responsible people."

Here's an analysis of the state of play, half a century after Kennedy's lying truth:

<http://www.lrb.co.uk/2013/06/28/slavoj-zizek/trouble-in-paradise>.  --CGE