[Peace-discuss] tomorrow's AWARE demonstration - and flyer sources: Snowden's statement ('the Obama Administration is afraid of an informed, angry public') and USLAW against intervention in Syria

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 18:30:55 UTC 2013

Tomorrow is the first Saturday of the month - AWARE's monthly anti-war
demonstration:

      2-4PM, Saturday, July 6th,
      corner of Main and Neil, downtown Champaign - the usual place

We haven't settled on a flyer for tomorrow, but talked a bit after the
parade about things that might go in it, including Edward Snowden's
statement this week (below).  Also below is a current statement by US
Labor Against the War opposing intervention in Syria.     Discussers of
peace, what do we think of these?   Are there other things that we
really need to include?  I'll aim to assemble something tonight, and get
it copied tomorrow midday, unless someone else wants to do either of those.

> One week ago I left Hong Kong after it became clear that my freedom
> and safety were under threat for revealing the truth. My continued
> liberty has been owed to the efforts of friends new and old, family,
> and others who I have never met and probably never will. I trusted
> them with my life and they returned that trust with a faith in me for
> which I will always be thankful.
>
> On Thursday, President Obama declared before the world that he would
> not permit any diplomatic "wheeling and dealing" over my case. Yet now
> it is being reported that after promising not to do so, the President
> ordered his Vice President to pressure the leaders of nations from
> which I have requested protection to deny my asylum petitions.
>
> This kind of deception from a world leader is not justice, and neither
> is the extralegal penalty of exile. These are the old, bad tools of
> political aggression. Their purpose is to frighten, not me, but those
> who would come after me. For decades the United States of America has
> been one of the strongest defenders of the human right to seek asylum.
> Sadly, this right, laid out and voted for by the U.S. in Article 14 of
> the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, is now being rejected by
> the current government of my country. The Obama administration has now
> adopted the strategy of using citizenship as a weapon. Although I am
> convicted of nothing, it has unilaterally revoked my passport, leaving
> me a stateless person. Without any judicial order, the administration
> now seeks to stop me exercising a basic right. A right that belongs to
> everybody. The right to seek asylum.
>
> In the end the Obama administration is not afraid of whistleblowers
> like me, Bradley Manning or Thomas Drake. We are stateless,
> imprisoned, or powerless. No, the Obama administration is afraid of
> you. It is afraid of an informed, angry public demanding the
> constitutional government it was promised --- and it should be.
>
> I am unbowed in my convictions and impressed at the efforts taken by
> so many.
>
> Edward Joseph Snowden

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 2:58 AM, Michael Eisenscher
<nationalcoordinator at uslaboragainstwar.org
<mailto:nationalcoordinator at uslaboragainstwar.org>> wrote:

    The Crisis in Syria:
    Statement by the Steering Committee of
    U.S. Labor Against the War
    July 5, 2013

      * /We oppose any U.S. military intervention, direct or indirect,
        in the Syrian conflict/
      * /The U.S. should focus on providing more humanitarian assistance
        through established internationally recognized neutral
        institutions and organizations /
      * /There is no military solution to the crisis in Syria /
      * /Initial steps to arm rebels will surely create pressure for
        further escalation, leading the U.S. into another quagmire /
      * /We call on our government to reverse its decision to provide
        arms and other military support to the Syrian rebels /
      * /The Syrian crisis is for the Syrian people to resolve by
        political negotiations /
      * /There must be an immediate full arms embargo applied to all
        countries /
      * /We support initiatives in Congress to prevent the U.S. from
        becoming embroiled in another armed conflict in the Middle East /
      * /We call for using funds now spent on the military to address
        poverty, unemployment, inequality and numerous other social ills
        here at home and abroad /
      * /By addressing these problems we will also increase our national
        security and reduce the need to resort to arms./
        Download full statement in PDF format
        <http://uslaboragainstwar.org/downloads/USLAW%20Statement%20on%20the%20Crisis%20in%20Syria.final.070313.pdf>

    Post: ufpj-activist at lists.mayfirst.org
    <mailto:ufpj-activist at lists.mayfirst.org>