[Peace-discuss] [OccupyCU] Fw: Save books, because you can't save kids from Obama?

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Fri Jul 12 02:08:50 UTC 2013

David--

I've received two sorts of response to my original note under this subject heading:

(a) the two matters (saving books from the librarian/saving kids from Obama) are unrelated: e.g., "the interpretation offered is crude and not perspicuous"; and

(b) the two matters are related, positively: e.g., a "powerful ripple effect ... comes from movements such as this [re the library] that encourage citizens to claim their rights and to realize (despite all they are told) that they can make a difference in how things go."

I think the two matters are related, but as alternatives. That's what I meant by saying "the outrage [re the library] is displaced affect" [emotion]. I had in mind the psychoanalysts' notion that the emotion generated by an unresolvable conflict can sometimes be transferred (displaced) to another matter. We then wonder why the latter seems to involve so much upset.

("Among Freud's mainstream followers, Otto Fenichel highlighted the displacement of affect, either through postponement or by redirection, or both ... In 1957, Jacques Lacan ... argued that the unconscious has the structure of a language, linking displacement to the poetic function of metonymy [= the substitution of the name of an attribute or adjunct for that of the thing meant, for example suit for business executive, or the track for horse racing].") Or a minor bit of public business for a major bit of public business.

I take the upset my remark has generated as some evidence for its correctness.

Now we need to get back to the important tasks you describe - educate/agitate/organize - against "the world's most evil and lawless institution ... the executive branch of the U.S. government. Executive Branch leaders have killed, wounded and made homeless well over 20 million human beings in the last 50 years, mostly civilians." <http://www.alternet.org/investigations/executive-branch-evil-and-lawless>.  It remains what M. L. King called it, "the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today." And in a democracy we're responsible for what it does.

Regards, Carl