[Peace-discuss] [sftalk] The seduction of Neoliberal "anti-racism"

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Jul 13 01:37:02 UTC 2013

Perhaps these remarks will encourage more of our friends to read Walter Benn Michaels; a recent interview is linked below.

His account of the discussion of race and its relation to neoliberalism - beginning with his 2006 book, "The Trouble with Diversity: How We Learned to Love Identity and Ignore Inequality" - seems to me far from nonsense, much less "ridiculous on its face," as inequality in America grows at an accelerating pace. He's certainly right that we need to ask questions other than, "What color are the rich kids?"

<http://jacobinmag.com/2011/01/let-them-eat-diversity/>

--CGE