[Peace-discuss] [sftalk] Re: [OccupyCU] An apposite comment on the Zimmerman demonstrations

Dr. Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Mon Jul 15 23:55:14 UTC 2013

I'd also suggest that demonstrations are not primarily about the narrow task of persuading those in power to engage in immediate, and narrow, changes, but about at least two other goals:
Demonstrating to the broader public that there is a sizable group exercised about this broad set of issues, which can prompt passive members of the public to consciousness and to action
Serving as an organizing and concrete demonstration of solidarity among those already engaged in some level of activism, which serves the task of movement building and development

Both of these tasks, if properly harnessed and channeled, serve longer term goals of broad social change - including racial and economic justice - which, as Paul notes, are not mutually exclusive issues.

Andrew
--
Dr. Andrew Ó Baoill
andrew at obaoill.net