[Peace-discuss] [OccupyCU] Comment on some recent faking & bluffing

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Wed Jul 17 03:32:20 UTC 2013

SOME NOTES ON WAYNE'S POEM

For those whose education was more practical than mine (Wayne's seem to have been both: he obviously became operational well before 12 January 1997 in Urbana, Illinois), it may be worthwhile to point out that the Latin lines are a translation of a Greek text (probably from an Aramaic original) found in the rather random collection of documents maintained by the Christian movement from its first century of existence; the author is purported to be the head of the Christian community in Jerusalem, before its destruction by the Romans in 70CE. The text reads

"...for judgement will be without mercy
to anyone who has shown no mercy;
mercy triumphs over judgement."

(For the context, see the New Testament Letter of James, chapter two.)

It's clear that the Carpenter has shown no mercy: young Martin is dead. But it seems that our local Walruses are more than diction-and-thought-police: they seem almost to wish to emulate the Carpenter in regard to those who commit Liberalism's unforgivable sin, racism. (James, incidentally, is concerned about class discrimination but doesn't mention racism.)

"…a lot of them think of themselves as being on the Left and they think it’s especially inappropriate for people to come along and tell them that the thing they like best about themselves, their anti-racism, is not in and of itself a left-wing commitment." [W. B. Michaels]

Wayne has written elsewhere that the Carpenter for all his crimes "is part of the 99%.  What social good is there if [the Left] pursues the 99%?  Zimmerman sure 'nuf ain't part of the 1%, now is he?"

Many of those who condemn the Zimmerman decision continue to support Obama. You'd think they'd at least be a bit abashed at that, after Obama's killing of a 16-year-old American, to say nothing - as we do - of his killing of hundreds of Asian children. Wayne is surely right when he calls Zimmerman, "Low hanging fruit for social reformers."

Wayne again: "The challenge for [all those who pride themselves on 'being on the Left']  is to see the man behind the curtain and go after him."

Benn Michaels again: "To be poor in America today, or to be anything but in the top 20 percent in America today, is to be victimized in important ways and in so far as we’re appreciating the characteristic products of victimization, we are not actually dealing with exploitation, but rather enshrining victimization, treating it as if it had value and therefore ought to be preserved. And that’s obviously reactionary."

James again, the first and last word: "If a brother or sister is naked and lacks daily food, and one of you says to them, ‘Go in peace; keep warm and eat your fill’, and yet you do not supply their bodily needs, what is the good of that?"

--CGE