[Peace-discuss] Fwd: The Black Community Stands Its Ground...

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Wed Jul 17 19:32:57 UTC 2013

In the "News from Neptune" slot on Urbana Public Television this week (7pm Friday, streaming at <urbanapublictelevision.org>), see & hear

Race, Class and Crisis:

What New Possibilities for the U.S. Left? – with Adolph Reed

Toronto, September 24, 2010.

The economic crisis that started in U.S. housing markets in 2007 quickly swept across the world market. A long period of stagnation and austerity now seems to be the order of the day. While all working class people have felt the impact of the crisis on their lives and work, the crisis has also been a ‘black depression’ for African-Americans. Adolph Reed has been at the centre of political debates on the economic impact of the crisis and the limits and failings of the Obama Administration. He has long lamented the paralysis of the U.S. left, arguing that the crisis of the U.S. left is not one of ideas, but of organizing. The challenges have been to move away from the doctrine of support ‘for the lesser evil,’ the left's shift to the right under Obama, and begin to explore new possibilities for the U.S. left.

Adolph Reed is a professor of Political Science at the University of Pennsylvania specializing in American and African American politics and political thought, urban politics, and American political development. Reed is a regular contributor toThe Nation, Monthly Review and The Progressive. He is author, among others, of:

The Perils of Obamamania (2010);
Why Labor's Soldiering for the Democrats is a Losing Battle (2010); and
Renewing Black Intellectual History: The ideological and material foundations of African American thought (2010).