[Peace-discuss] [Peace] Organize!

Laurie Solomon ls1000 at live.com
Wed Jul 17 19:55:04 UTC 2013

I find it interesting how, whether or not the case was always about race,
the focus has been on the particulars of the case and the individuals
involved rather than on the case as a trial of our judicial system itself.
It seems as if people want to accept that the justice system itself is
systemically "fair and Just" and only needs some tweaking and reforms to
make it more so and to produce outcomes that are more equitable and fair
than is currently the case.  Namely the establishment and many individuals
seem to want to suggest that particular cases and specific trials are bad
apples; but the system itself is a good barrel.  Few seem to be willing to
say that the barrel (e.g., the justice system is itself) is fundamentally
bad.

Similarly, the focus of the Snowden incident is on the individual, theft,
and treason but not on the principles of the public's right to transparency,
privacy, and public accountability even if and when - in practice - it may
put national security in jeopardy.  Namely, principles are secondary to
practices when it comes to security with opposition to this being viewed as
being unpatriotic and criminal.