[Peace-discuss] Fwd: URGENT: Call Rep. Davis to vote against NSA spying on Americans

"E. Wayne Johnson 朱稳森" ewj at pigsqq.org
Wed Jul 24 04:37:56 UTC 2013

The Obama Administration is opposing the Amash (aka Amash/Conyers)
amendment.

Also the NSA is lobbying against it as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/23/keith-alexander-justin-amash_n_3639329.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

Below is a portion of the memo sent to congressmen by the White House.

THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 23, 2013

Statement by the Press Secretary on the Amash Amendment

In light of the recent unauthorized disclosures, the President has said
that he welcomes a debate about how best to simultaneously safeguard
both our national security and the privacy of our citizens. The
Administration has taken various proactive steps to advance this debate
including the President’s meeting with the Privacy and Civil Liberties
Oversight Board, his public statements on the disclosed programs, the
Office of the Director of National Intelligence’s release of its own
public statements, ODNI General Counsel Bob Litt’s speech at Brookings,
and ODNI’s decision to declassify and disclose publicly that the
Administration filed an application with the Foreign Intelligence
Surveillance Court. We look forward to continuing to discuss these
critical issues with the American people and the Congress.

However, we oppose the current effort in the House to hastily dismantle
one of our Intelligence Community’s counterterrorism tools. This blunt
approach is not the product of an informed, open, or deliberative
process. We urge the House to reject the Amash Amendment, and instead
move forward with an approach that appropriately takes into account the
need for a reasoned review of what tools can best secure the nation.