[Peace-discuss] Holocaust Industry

David Gehrig david-cu at nukulele.org
Sat Jul 27 22:08:22 UTC 2013

Once again, I have removed Occupy CU from the reply list, as
it is not a discussion list.

What follows is, among other things, not just a big lazy
slab of cut-and-paste from Wikipedia.

Finkelstein is in many ways deeply flawed academic -- his
tendentious take on Lipstadt is, frankly, too removed from
reality to take seriously -- but he did hit on something
that needed to be said: anti-Zionism is not, per se, always
a form of antisemitism, and bogus claims of antisemitism are
indeed used as a weapon against anti-Zionism.

Too bad he stopped there.

Unfortunately, it soon became clear that all too many people
-- including ones on this list -- extrapolated Finkelstein's
statement into a much broader one: that every claim that any
anti-Zionist is also an antisemite as well must be by
definition false, cannot possibly be true, and should be
shouted down as loudly and derisively as possible. It is no
more possible to be an antisemitic anti-Zionist than it is
to be a square circle, they said; other than a few
curiousities and freakazoids here and there, it just can't
happen.

Well, as any student of Jewish history can tell you, what
happens when you red-line an area in which people are
politically committed a priori to seeing no antisemitism? Up
come the charlatans -- antisemites who see an audience ripe
for the plucking. All these guys have to do is just
substitute the word "Zionist" every time they would have
previously used the word "Jew," and at least some uncritical
anti-Zionists will just slurp it up, every last anti-Jewish
stereotype in it, and beg for more, convinced that it's not
antisemitism but anti-Zionism.

After the catastrophic defeat of Holocaust denier David
Irving in the London courtroom in 2000 (a trial in which, as
it happens, every one of Stephen's ridiculous
neo-Nazi-originated claims about the Holocaust gas chambers
were addressed and decisively refuted), the Holocaust denial
movement made a conscious decision to repaint themselves as
not anti-Jewish but "anti-Zionist *wink wink*".

As you can see, that was a surprisingly successful move for
them.

What did it take to get Stephen quoting neo-Fascist
publishers like the IHR and neo-Nazis like Zündel? All they
had to do is call themselves "anti-Zionist," and suddenly
people like Stephen couldn't wait to carry their water, oh
boy oh boy.

All through this discussion, people like the Johnsons and
Stephen have tried to force everything into the tiny little
box in which everything is determined by the circa-2000
Finkelstein reflex. In doing so, they have all along missed
what the discussion is actually about.

Is anti-Zionism antisemitic? Relying solely on the
Finkelstein-2000 reflex demands you answer "no." But
thirteen years after Finkelstein, we've seen that this snap
answer isn't really quite sufficient. The answer is neither
"yes" nor "no," but "depends on the individual case."
Holocaust denial isn't anti-Zionism, it's antisemitism
trying to pass itself off as anti-Zionism. If you have no
room in your mental framework for that distinction, then
your mental framework is inadequate, and you are ripe for
picking by the Zündels of the world.

As we have seen.

Combatting Holocaust denial is something everyone should
agree on. Most anti-Zionists know that they have nothing to
gain from neo-Nazi Ernst Zündel videos. But, as you can see
here, there are those who haven't gotten to that point yet
-- and will apparently fight screaming every step along the
road to enlightenment.

I have tried to get a few people here another step down the
path. Only time will tell if they take it.

@%<