[Peace-discuss] Antiwar movement: now Republicans, not Democrats

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Sun Jul 28 14:00:12 UTC 2013

"...The establishment keeps the left and right populist factions at bay by demonizing them to each other — “let’s you and him fight” is the mindset — which is why MSNBC so often feeds hate of conservatives and Fox feeds hate of progressives. If they were to pay more attention to issues, they might break them down and it might become clear that there’s quite a bit the principled left and right agree on. Meanwhile, establishment Democrats and Republicans collude on war, Wall Street and much else, effectively reducing principled progressives and conscientious conservatives into pawns of the Democratic and Republican party establishments.

"A left-right alliance is extremely threatening to the establishment. Rep. King recently bemoaned about the NSA scandal: ”too many Republicans and conservatives have become Michael Moores.” Similarly, former Iraq war military spokesperson Dan Senor triumphantly declared: ”I think this further strengthens the center on national security. I think there was a real risk over the last couple weeks that there would be this left/right coalition that would backlash against the United States government…” Sen. Lindsey Graham commented back in 2010: ”You know what I worry most about: an unholy alliance between the right and the left.“ Dan Quayle in 1990 as George H. W. Bush, who Obama recently honored, was driving the nation to war attacked the 'McGovern-Buchanan axis'..."

[The whole article is at <http://www.votepact.org/2013/07/25/the-perennially-unusual-yet-somehow-ubiquitous-left-right-alliance-towards-acknowledging-an-anti-establishment-center/>.]