[Peace-discuss] Fw: [Discuss] Essential mtg on future of public broadband in CU: Tues 7pm in Champaign Council chambers

"E. Wayne Johnson 朱稳森" ewj at pigsqq.org
Tue Jul 30 00:54:51 UTC 2013

Rural Hamilton County, IL, a fairly backward backwoods place
by just about any yardstick one chooses, has fibre-optic cable
running everywhere.  They had no electrical power until 1947 and
no telephone service until the early 1960's.  The electrical power
is provided by an REA Co-op and is cheap and effective.  The
telephone service for the rural areas is also a local cooperative
run by a local board populated mostly by local farmer-types.
The local telephone co-op ran fibre-optic lines for high speed internet
everywhere some
10 years ago.  Interestingly internet is an important service
for agriculture.

They give the patrons of the co-op a dividend payment
every year that is proportional to the amount of years past service that
they used.  It can amount to several hundred dollars per year.

Champaign-Urbana would be well-advised to consider such a model,
but there seems to be too much money at stake in C-U for the
vampires and the maggots to not get in on the money pie.

Ameren stock is considered to be a sound investment since they
regularly reap benefits from the people they have in absolute
captivity.