[Peace-discuss] David Swanson: Syria: Pros and Cons

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 12:22:29 UTC 2013

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[ufpj-activist] Syria: Pros and Cons
Date: 	Fri, 14 Jun 2013 11:57:11 -0400
From: 	David Swanson <davidcnswanson at gmail.com>
To: 	<media at lists.mayfirst.org>

  Syria: Pros and Cons

By David Swanson
http://warisacrime.org/content/syria-pros-and-cons

*Mr. President, if I were a professional con artist paid to give you the
pros and cons on engaging in a war in Syria, here's what they would be:*

As you know, former president Clinton, probably understood by many to
also be speaking on behalf of his wife, has called you a wuss.
Virtually nobody remembers or cares that you said "I want to end the
mindset that got us into war in the first place."  The majority of
Americans, exercising that mindset, want you to get us into a new war in
the first place if the alternative is having a wuss in the White House.
I don't have a poll on that, but trust me.

This is not contradicted by public opposition to U.S. engagement in the
war in Syria (as seen in the polls).  If U.S. casualties are minimized
and if the financial cost can come out of the base DOD budget -- at
least at first -- then the political cost is negligible while the
political gain is enormous.  Unless you drag this out.  The military
budget is being increased right now, and in violation of the sequester,
and nobody gives a rat's ass.  They think it means jobs and
non-wussiness.  Unless you drag it out.

With regard to claims of chemical weapons use by the Syrian government,
the best approach is to claim certainty, and to insist on the necessity
of secrecy for the evidence.  You've had a great deal of success with
this approach on drone kills, NSA programs, etc.  Let the conversation
focus on a demand for the evidence.  This allows you to talk about the
scary dangers requiring secrecy, and to question whether your opponents
have the appropriate level of patriotic barbarism.

Meanwhile, everyone has completely forgotten that both sides in Syria
are using hideous weaponry and committing horrible atrocities, while
we're only aiding one side rather than both.  Nobody, in this framework,
will be capable of thinking about the internationally condemned weapons
we deploy, or wondering whether killing Syrians to prevent Syrians from
being killed by the wrong kind of weapons even makes sense in our
humanitarian (wink wink) scenario.  Much less will the legality or
morality of using war to prevent war be questioned or even be
questionable.  Keep the focus on the extensive evidence of chemical
weapons use by Assad, one of the few individuals in the world -- we
should say constantly -- evil enough to do such a thing.  Stop
mentioning Syria at all. Always refer to Assad.

Key also is swiftness.  Get this battle started!  Get progress and
movement toward victory underway immediately.  If possible get a very
small number of Americans killed, and killed by Assad.  Remember that
the resistance to the 2003 invasion of Iraq shriveled away once the
invasion happened, and that the same sort of resistance is not even here
now for you.  Your image is firmly established as a non-killer.  Your
telling the /New York Times/ about your kill list terror-Tuesday
meetings did nothing to change that.  Your bin-Laden announcement did
nothing to change that.  The danger for you is not Texan sadist.  The
danger for you is Wuss.

The secondary danger is drawing the thing out.  You've been able to
escalate and prolong the war on Afghanistan for five years only because
you've labeled it your predecessor's war. The House just voted that you
only get another year-and-a-half there unless they vote again.  I know,
I know, it's cute how they think we give a shit what they vote for.  But
Syria is not Bush's war.  If you drag it out you'll be in trouble.  And
here's why you might: The people of Syria are largely against the rebels
and will be even more strongly against the United States or NATO.  There
won't even be a momentary flowers-and-chocolate welcome.  Both sides are
heavily armed already, and the more popular side is winning.  You're
proposing to fight on the less popular side in support of overthrowing a
more popular government in exchange for a government that could end up
opposed to Iran, but which will also be opposed to the United States,
not to mention its opposition to restraint in mutilating and murdering
blasphemers.  There will be a temptation to try to fix and control what
is guaranteed to be broken and uncontrollable. And that's if the whole
thing doesn't expand internationally into a broader war involving
several nations and costing you practically as much as Wussihood.

So, what you need is swiftness and overwhelming strength, devastation
sufficient to shock and awe the Syrians as it were.  And then get the
hell out of there and leave those people to their catastrophe.  That
would be my advice.  You don't need, and the weapons makers and
contractors who will show you their gratitude don't need, a lengthy war
in order to profit.  You need an example of a successful war that can be
held up as potentially needed again.  Because, of course -- while you
must absolutely not say this yet -- this is what will get you into
Iran.  And Iran is where the real men go, Mr. President.

You need to clamp down on Senator McCain and all other voices connecting
Syria to Iran.  The two need to be separate and happen sequentially.
You need to control the media by continuing to beat the existing sticks
of intimidation, while offering some carrots as well.  Do they want to
break the story of the chemical weapons evidence? Do they? Do they? Then
they need to watch what they say.  This can be a win-win for everyone
involved, Mr. President.  The footage of the bombing of Syrian air
defense batteries in urban centers will be stunning.  It should come
before the Fourth of July.

Footage from the ground in those cities, however, should be banned under
the threat of indictment for aiding the enemy. This is important.  Syria
is not Libya.  A lot more people are going to die, and we do not want
those images except in one key case.  We want the death of Assad on
every television. And we want it from a bomb, not a night raid.  We want
to justify the killing of tens of thousands through the killing of
someone so demonized that his killing justifies all killing.  At that
point, you can forget anyone caring about the fate of Syria.  Just look
at Iraq.  It's worse off right now than Syria is, and I can count on one
hand the number of Americans who give a damn.

Courage, Mr. President!  Don't be a wuss!

--

David Swanson's books include "War Is A Lie <http://warisalie.org/>." He
blogs at http://davidswanson.org <http://davidswanson.org/> and
http://warisacrime.org <http://warisacrime.org/> and works for
http://rootsaction.org <http://rootsaction.org/>. He hosts Talk Nation
Radio <http://davidswanson.org/taxonomy/term/41>. Follow him on Twitter:
@davidcnswanson <http://twitter.com/davidcnswanson> and FaceBook
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/David-Swanson/297768373319#>.
Activist alerts: subscribe
<mailto:Activists-subscribe at lists.mayfirst.org?subject=subscribe&body=subscribe>
unsubscribe
<mailto:Activists-unsubscribe at lists.mayfirst.org?subject=unsubscribe&body=unsubscribe>
Articles (which can be republished with link and credit) subscribe
<mailto:Media-subscribe at lists.mayfirst.org?subject=subscribe&body=subscribe>
unsubscribe
<mailto:Media-unsubscribe at lists.mayfirst.org?subject=unsubscribe&body=unsubscribe>
Press releases: subscribe
<mailto:Reporters-subscribe at lists.mayfirst.org?subject=subscribe&body=subscribe>
unsubscribe
<mailto:Reporters-unsubscribe at lists.mayfirst.org?subject=unsubscribe&body=unsubscribe>
Washington DC press advisories: subscribe
<mailto:DCmedia-subscribe at lists.mayfirst.org?subject=subscribe&body=subscribe>
unsubscribe
<mailto:DCmedia-unsubscribe at lists.mayfirst.org?subject=unsubscribe&body=unsubscribe>
Charlottesville VA press releases: subscribe
<mailto:cvillemedia-subscribe at lists.people-link.net?subject=subscribe&body=subscribe>
unsubscribe
<mailto:cvillemedia-unsubscribe at lists.people-link.net?subject=unsubscribe&body=unsubscribe>
Charlottesville VA activist alerts: subscribe
<mailto:cville-activism-subscribe at lists.people-link.net?subject=subscribe&body=subscribe>
unsubscribe
<mailto:cville-activism-unsubscribe at lists.people-link.net?subject=unsubscribe&body=unsubscribe>