[Peace-discuss] 4th of July - AWARE float (or signs, anyway...)

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 15:46:07 UTC 2013

Rohn Koester wrote:
> Who on the listserv plans to walk in the parade? Help make signs, a
> banner, and/or a float? I plan to walk and help make.
Yes!

Can we talk more about ideas for this at this Sunday's AWARE meeting (in
person or by e-mail)?

Especially: *is there a unifying line we could put on a banner?* (Ours
from last year: "For everyone's children / a world without war".)

We're invited to join CUCPJ in a sign-making party on *June 29th (next
Saturday*) if we like.  They'll be in the IMC working on their no-new-jail

For reference, here's what I ended up sending to the parade committee as
to how our entry reflects their theme ("United we stand, proudly we
serve"), based on suggestions from Merlin, Carle, Chris E and others...

    /We honor the constitutional rights and legal protections our
    predecessors have fought to establish.//
    ////
    //We honor the school teachers, the librarians, the workers who
    serve the public to educate and improve the lives of future
    generations.//
    ////
    //We stand united to oppose giving up our freedoms, and take those
    of others abroad, in the name of a false security./

Of course *we don't have to follow this.*   Still it could cover a lot
of ground...  War, imprisonment, universal surveillance, and other
deprivations of freedom.

I do like the Zomba/Obomba-Shaver signs and would happily carry a
drone-shaped line from one of them.

Theresa, talking about the recent Urbana library meeting, mentioned the
story of the Iraqi librarian - remember that?  She knew the invasion was
coming and - as wars do - was liable to destroy her library with all its
books, so as Theresa writes:
> There is a wonderful children's book that shares the story of a
> librarian in Iraq who knew what was coming down in her country and so
> every night took home some of the books so as to save the collection.
>  She saved 30,000 books on her own and with the help of others who
> allowed her to store the books in their homes.  Even children
> understand that this woman was a hero.
How can we make a sign about that??

There's a recent article about her, on the 10th anniversary of the
saving of the best of that library --
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/life-style/2013/03/17/Basra-librarian-saved-30-000-books-during-2003-invasion.html
and here's one of the books: "The Librarian of Basra" by Jeanette Winter
http://www.amazon.com/The-Librarian-Basra-True-Story/dp/B0013L8B7E