[Peace-discuss] Liberals

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Fri Mar 15 01:07:16 UTC 2013

But it's soi-disant liberals who keep Obama's war policy (and economic policy) in place - as he knows very well (and sketched in Audacity of Hope).

It was only because he co-opted the liberal anti-war movement that he's able to continue (and expand) Bush's war policy; it was only because he co-opted liberal Democrats that he's able to put into practice the Republicans' austerity policy. He's not the lesser evil but "the more effective evil" (as Glen Ford says), because he is putting into effect neocon foreign policy and neoliberal economic policy (and killing a lot of people).

As Chris Hedges points out (in The Death of the Liberal Class) it is precisely people who see themselves as liberals who are allowing this, when they should be resisting it. We should be attacking liberals and their silence on Obama's actions.

Did you notice that our liberal senior senator objected to a resolution opposing a president’s ability to bomb citizens on US soil?  --CGE