[Peace-discuss] Jesuitism

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Fri Mar 15 23:27:26 UTC 2013

I'm not sure what point you're making with these citations, Ron, but they lead me to note that "casuistry" has a neutral sense as well as a pejorative one.

In the neutral sense, it's the art (or science) of applying general principles - usually ethical ones -- to specific situations.

E.g., we generally agree that people have a right not to be killed (i.e., one should not take a human life): deciding how that applies to my specific situation (May I kill someone who attacks me? Who threatens to attack me? etc.) is a matter of casuistry.

The pejorative sense arises from the notion that casuistry is often done badly, by accident or design. (Note that the Jonsen/Toulmin book is called _The *Abuse* of Casuistry_.)  --CGE