[Peace-discuss] Pat Buchanan slams S. Res. 65 "backdoor to Iran war"

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Fri Mar 22 16:02:34 UTC 2013

Oh well, if we can't have Dick Durbin on our side, at least we have
Pat Buchanan.

-----

http://original.antiwar.com/buchanan/2013/03/21/goading-gullible-america-into-war/

[...]
Now we come to the sinister role of the U.S. Senate in setting the
table for war. Consider what Senate Joint Resolution 65, crafted at
AIPAC, the Israeli Lobby, and now being shopped around for signing by
Sen. Lindsey Graham and Sen. Robert Menendez, does.

SR 65 radically alters U.S. policy by declaring it to be “the policy
of the United States … to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear
weapons capability and to take such action as may be necessary to
implement this policy.”

Obama’s policy — no nuclear weapons in Iran — is tossed out.
Substituted for it in SR 65 is Bibi Netanyahu’s policy — “no nuclear
weapons capability” in Iran.

Now, as Iran already has that “capability” — as does Germany, Japan,
South Korea and other nations who have forsworn nuclear weapons — what
SR 65 does is authorize the United States to attack Iran — to stop her
from what she is doing now. Yet, according to all 16 U.S. intelligence
agencies, Iran does not have a nuclear bomb program.

Critically, SR 65 goes further and “urges that if the Government of
Israel is compelled to take military action in self-defense, the
United States Government should … provide diplomatic, military and
economic support to the Government of Israel in its defense of its
territory, people and existence.”

Translation: Should Bibi attack Iran, the Senate urges the U.S.
military to join in that attack. SR 65 is a blank check to Bibi to go
to war with Iran, with a U.S. Senate commitment to join him.

Coupled with House Resolution 850, which calls for crushing new
sanctions, SR 65 is designed to so enrage and humiliate Iran that her
delegates walk out of negotiations — and war inevitably ensues.

Here then is War Party calendar and countdown.

First, rule out containment and deterrence of Iran, though that policy
won the Cold War. Second, rule in a U.S. war on Iran if Tehran does
not yield to all our demands in nuclear negotiations.

Third, ensure the negotiations fail by repeated insults, threats,
sanctions, and intolerable demands that so humiliate the Iranians
that, enraged, they say “to hell with it” and walk out of the talks.

Then, by default, the last “option” left for dealing with Iran — even
if she still has not tested a bomb or enriched uranium to bomb grade —
will be U.S. air strikes on Fordow and Natanz, cheered on by a War
Party that dreams of this day and that war.

Preventing another generation of war dead delivered to Dover should be
the first priority of American patriots.

--
Robert Naiman
Policy Director
naiman at justforeignpolicy.org