[Peace-discuss] at HuffPo: Flotilla 3.0: Redeeming Obama's Palestine Speech With Gaza's Ark

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Sun Mar 24 22:20:17 UTC 2013

That's certainly true. Of course, my main objective here was to
promote interest in Gaza's Ark. Obama's speech was in the news, and
people pay attention to what's in the news, so I was like: thing you
are paying attention to because it was in the news, and why you should
pay attention to Gaza's Ark instead.

Incidentally, I have an idea for a way we could support Gaza's Ark in
Champaign-Urbana.

They're asking people to purchase Palestinian goods from Gaza which
will go on the boat. The minimum order is $500.

If you go to the webpage:

http://www.gazaark.org/products/

you see there are some choices. Some of them are things our local food
coop could presumably sell, like "Pressed dates (ajwa)" and "Dates
preserves (Makhtom)."

It would certainly be wonderful if our local food co-op would place an order.

However, one has to accept that there's a good chance that the boat is
not going to make it out; indeed, there's a good chance that it will
be intercepted by the Israeli Navy and its cargo will be confiscated.

So, I was thinking that a bunch of us could pass the hat and front the
money to the food co-op to make the order. $500 divided among a
sufficient group of us would be something we could carry.

If the boat makes it out, the food coop gets to sell the stuff and pay
us back. If the boat doesn't make it out, the people who fronted the
money eat the $500 loss.

The idea being: it's not going to cost the co-op anything in any
event, so if there were anyone in the co-op who was against the idea
on political grounds, they wouldn't have the issue of cost to hide
behind.

What do you think?