[Peace-discuss] Iraqi oil worker arrested

Paul Mueth paulmueth at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 25 16:19:50 UTC 2013

From Fuel on the Fire blog, book of same name by Muttit of UK
Solidarity call, please forward

My friend Hassan Juma'a, leader of the Iraqi Federation of Oil Unions in Basra, is to be prosecuted on 7 April), charged with organising a strike at the South Oil Company. Hassan has played a central role in defending the rights of Iraqi oil workers, and in working to democratise decisions about oil.

URGENT: Please take action by getting your union or organisation to sign this letter of protest to Prime Minister Maliki. We know from past experience that such letters have been effective in helping stop violations of trade unionists´rights.

(Note that the letter gives the court date as 20 March; it has since been postponed to 7 April)