[Peace-discuss] Just Vision: Sheikh Jarrah, My Neighbourhood Wins Peabody Award

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Fri Mar 29 18:32:29 UTC 2013

Let's try to arrange a screening of this movie in Champaign-Urbana.

* *

****

** **

PRESS RELEASE****

** **

** **

March 27, 2013****

* *

*JUST VISION AND AL JAZEERA’S DOCUMENTARY*

*SHEIKH JARRAH,** MY NEIGHBOURHOOD WINS PEABODY AWARD*

* *****

*Sheikh Jarrah, My Neighbourhood*, directed by Julia Bacha and Rebekah
Wingert-Jabi, has been awarded the prestigious George Foster Peabody Award
for distinguished achievement in electronic media. ****

** **

Airing on Al Jazeera English’s *Witness *program in April 2012, *Sheikh
Jarrah, My Neighbourhood* tells the story of Mohammed El Kurd, a
Palestinian teenager from East Jerusalem, whose family is evicted from part
of their home by Israeli settlers. The 25-minute film focuses on the human
impact of settlement expansion in East Jerusalem, and the nonviolent
campaign that Palestinian residents and Israeli supporters are waging
against the evictions.****

** **

*Sheikh Jarrah, My Neighbourhood *had its US premiere at the Tribeca Film
Festival in New York and its European premiere at Sheffield Documentary
Festival. It has won awards at the Warsaw Jewish Film Festival and Al
Jazeera’s Documentary Festival, and has screened before the European
Parliament, at the United Nations, and for policy experts in Washington,
D.C. ****

** **

The film is now available online at:
http://www.justvision.org/myneighbourhood/watch****

** **

Directors Julia Bacha and Rebekah Wingert-Jabi remarked, “We are humbled
and overjoyed by this recognition. It is tremendously rewarding to see the
story of a Palestinian teenager touching so many hearts in the United
States. We hope Mohammed's story will help bring attention to the urgent
crisis posed by Israeli settlement expansion in East Jerusalem and support
for the Palestinians and Israelis who are struggling nonviolently to stop
more Palestinian families from losing their homes."****

** **

Ronit Avni, Just Vision’s Founder and Executive Director, expressed
appreciation for the award, stating: “Just Vision was founded to bring
attention to the work of Palestinian and Israeli grassroots leaders who are
struggling for freedom, dignity, security and peace using nonviolent means.
This award recognizes the challenges they face in East Jerusalem as they
struggle for a more equitable, just future for both peoples. We are honored
to share this recognition with Al Jazeera English.”****

*  *****

*About Just Vision:*****

Just Vision generates awareness and support for Palestinians and Israelis
working nonviolently to end the occupation and the conflict. We tell their
under-documented stories through our award-winning films and educational
tools that undermine stereotypes, inspire commitment and galvanize action.
Just Vision's previous film, *BUDRUS*
<http://www.justvision.org/budrus>*,*won eighteen major international
awards including the PUMA Creative Impact
Award of 2012. Just Vision is comprised of a team of Palestinian, Israeli,
and North American journalists, filmmakers and human rights advocates.****

** **

*For further information contact: *****

Jessica Devaney****