[Peace-discuss] Our alert: No to U.S. Military Intervention in Syria

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Wed May 1 19:27:55 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Just Foreign Policy <info at justforeignpolicy.org>
Date: Wed, May 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Subject: No to U.S. Military Intervention in Syria
To: naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

 [image: Just Foreign
Policy]<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=8LFPKjCnO0VNCjopf5UvgDTu7iImnd0R>

Dear Robert,

*Tell President Obama and Congress not to intervene militarily in Syria,
and to support a political solution instead.
*
Take Action<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=OuzrMJtZGQzna8LsSedZDjTu7iImnd0R>

 Republican Senators like Lindsey Graham and John McCain are demanding that
the Obama Administration get the U.S. involved militarily in Syria's
sectarian civil war. [1] But after the experience of the Iraq and
Afghanistan wars, President Obama and U.S. military leaders are right to be
wary of these calls. *And if we don't have enough money for Social
Security, veterans' benefits, Head Start, and cancer clinics, we certainly
don't have enough money for another war. *

*Urge Congress and the President to resist calls for another rush to war in
the Middle East, and to support a political solution instead.*

*http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/act/no-intervention-syria<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=TKfh3dviJK85MwgeIvqXSzTu7iImnd0R>
*

There's something particularly troubling about all this Sunday talk show
blather about U.S. military action in Syria: it seems to assume that the
President can order military action in Syria without anyone else's
approval. *But Syria hasn't attacked us, and as far as we know, has no
plans to attack us. *

Given the absence of a Syrian attack on or imminent threat to the United
States:

   1. If the President ordered military action against Syria *without
   Congressional authorization*, that would *violate the U.S. Constitution
   and the War Powers Resolution.*
   2. If the President ordered military action in Syria *without the
   approval of the United Nations Security Council*, that would *violate
   the United Nations Charter*—just like the Iraq war did.

If Congressional authorization and UN Security Council approval can be
treated as trivial inconveniences for war in Syria, they can be treated as
trivial inconveniences for war with Iran, or for drone strikes anywhere.

*Urge Congress and the President to resist calls for a rush to war in
Syria, and to ensure that U.S. actions comply fully with U.S. and
international law.*

*http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/act/no-intervention-syria<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=tSZvpgYOHExCh2gwy6xyHTTu7iImnd0R>
*

Thank you for all you do to help bring about a more just foreign policy,

Robert Naiman, Chelsea Mozen, Sarah Burns and Megan Iorio
Just Foreign Policy

*Help fund our work—donate to Just Foreign Policy!* With our small staff
and minimal overhead, you know your contribution will go a long way.
http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/donate<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=hbHQweSWD7REfEHbkgDKISe7OfapaSpZ>