[Peace-discuss] News-Gazette and WILL coverage on last night's hearing on the draft report

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Fri May 3 13:50:06 UTC 2013

Hi Discuss List,

After the county board open meeting last night about the jail needs
assessment report, States Attorney Julia Rietz approached me to clear
her name or something.

She told us a story that was supposed to impress us as to how
wonderful she is, but the more I think about it, the more appalled I
am.

Yesterday Julia had to decide who to prosecute for the following
event. 3 people at the transportation building attacked a man to steal
his new cell phone still in the bag from the store. The event was
caught on the surveillance cameras at the Transportation Building.
Julia got a phone call from the Principal of the school where all 3
attackers attend school. But the plea was only for the girl involved
-- that she would miss finals and she was a good student. Julia
released the girl and only the girl. As if the other two did not have
valuable things in their lives that they would miss by being locked
up. As if the girl could be excused for her crime because she had good
grades. The more I think about this story and that Julia was holding
it up as a sign of how wonderful she is at her job, the sicker I feel.
Am I missing something?

-karen medina

--
-- karen medina
"The really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark Twain