[Peace-discuss] Support Par(cell)ed Words | Writing from the County Jail

Rachel Storm rachelstrm at gmail.com
Fri May 3 18:39:05 UTC 2013

*Please forward widely to folks you think would enjoy supporting our
project!*

Greetings!

Some of you may know that I've been co-teaching a poetry class at the
Champaign County Jail with Becca Sorgert. Like many creative writing
classes held at the jail before us, we're hoping to produce a chapbook or
zine of our student's writing for local distribution (and hopefully send
copies to inspire similar writing groups locally and nationally). *Well, we
need your support. *
*
*
As you can imagine, producing a chapbook is no small feat and takes energy
and funding. *To that end, we've launched a Kickstarter to help generate
$500+ funds to be able to produce copies of our full-color chapbook
featuring student artwork and poetry*---copies that will find themselves in
our local libraries (big and small), in the hands of poetry enthusiasts in
CU, and most importantly, in the hands of our students and their friends
and families.

Our students (incarcerated men at the local county jail) have also
maintained an ongoing relationship with students in a similar class at the
Juvenile Detention Center, providing the youth feedback on their work and
encouraging poetry writing among young writers. They would like to ensure
each of the JDC youth writers get a copy, too.

*Please help us by taking a moment to donate what you can to the project,
here:*
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662471034/parcelled-words-poetry-from-the-c-u-county-jail
<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662471034/parcelled-words-poetry-from-the-c-u-county-jail>

Thanks, friends.