[Peace-discuss] Sunday 9:30am & 1:30pm: commencement speaker Shahid Khan: rally and flyer outside Assembly Hall in support of Flex-N-Gate workers

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Fri May 10 00:21:25 UTC 2013

WHAT: Rally and flyering in support of Flex-N-Gate workers
WHERE: outside Assembly Hall
WHEN: at *two times on Sunday* May 12th: *9:30AM* and at *1:30PM* (for
the 10am and 2pm commencement times)
     Come to either, or to both if you can!

WHY: Shahid Khan, local owner of national business Flex-n-Gate, will be
the U of I's commencement speaker on Sunday. His manufacturing business
is successful, but at the expense of his workers. The Urbana plant has
been found guilty of nine "serious" (substantial risk of death or
serious harm) OSHA violations; workers lack proper training and
protective equipment; they and their families are exposed to toxic
chromium VI; and other problems.

Khan is a generous donor to the University and to the community. Let's
call on him to treat his workers decently as well.

Initiative from Campus Labor Coalition, and Mike W has composed a flyer...

Got signs?   Got materials?   Got ideas?   Think you can be there at
either time?  Please write back (to the lists or to me) and let us
know.   There's also a Facebook event,

https://www.facebook.com/events/130612717132552/