[Peace-discuss] (no subject)

"E. Wayne Johnson 朱稳森" ewj at pigsqq.org
Sat May 11 20:12:30 UTC 2013

On 05/11/13 22:43, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> Whats the best Englishing of Laozi? Still Arthur Waley, where I first encountered it?

There are well over 100 different English versions.  In some
of them the original text is hardly recognizable.

http://terebess.hu/english/tao/_index.html
has links to many different English versions online.

The ones I have read the most are Gia-fu Feng and Jane English, John CH Wu,
and Robert Hendricks.  Hendricks is worth reading because it is a
translation
from a very old Chinese version Mawangdui which has some alternation in the
Chinese.  Feng and English is very readable for me.

> How do you write "righteous dude" in Chinese?

You could translate it literally but
it would not have much meaning in Chinese.

The slang term would be 牛屄  (something like "totally freaking
awesome"),
usually considered not exactly polite, (ok,crude...), and
often written as 牛 or 牛逼 or 牛B or N.B. to take the edge off of it,
but everyone would
know what you mean.  It's ok to say "Niu!" (牛!) in polite conversation.

老子好牛。

Laozi is considered to be too difficult to read by most Chinese
and so rather few Chinese read Laozi.  Some of the words (characters)
are ancient and out of use.