[Peace-discuss] Monday 5/20 - two films & discussions! "NO", on Chile under Pinochet, @ ArtTheater; "Gasland II" national premier in Normal, IL, with filmmaker Josh Fox

Stuart Levy salevy at illinois.edu
Fri May 17 05:29:17 UTC 2013

Two good films & discussions, **both showing on Monday evening, May
20th** -- one in Champaign, one in Normal.
(I'd told some people at the U of I commencement demonstration about
Gasland II - here it is, coming to Normal IL next week.)
Summary first, details below.

1-
    "NO", a new Chilean film, Oscar nominated: set in Chile in 1988, it
features a young ad executive who comes up with a campaign to defeat
Augusto Pinochet in a national referendum.   Austin McCann notes:
/"//it's about how we use the media for liberatory purposes in a culture
of advertising."/

*7:30 Monday at the Art Theater in Champaign**, with discussion
afterwards by **Chilean student Karla Palma,* doctoral candidate in
Media and Communications at the U of I.  (It will also be shown 7:30
Tuesday and 5PM Wednesday, but discussion on Monday only.)

2-
    "Gasland II", a follow-on to the nationally-recognized documentary
Gasland on fracking for natural gas extraction, will have a national
premiere in *Normal, IL*, *with an appearance by the filmmaker, Josh
Fox.*   7PM in the Normal Theater.

     Note: /Fox has chosen to launch his national tour of Gasland II in
Normal to bring attention to the efforts of //*Illinois People?s
Action*//and other grassroots groups to keep fracking out of the state
of Illinois./

About "NO":

Hi everyone,

Next week, we're playing a new Chilean film called NO at the Art. The
film was a 2013 Oscar nominee (Best Foreign-Language Feature) & stars
Gael Garcia Bernal as an a young ad executive who comes up with a
campaign to defeat Augusto Pinochet in Chile's 1988 referendum. In
short, *it's about how we use the media for liberatory purposes in a
culture of advertising. *

Watch the trailer here. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGOcFPzx1H0>

After Monday's 7:30PM show, we're going to have a discuss about media
justice & Chilean politics led by Karla Palma*! It should prove to be a
stellar conversation - I hope you all can make it out.

Showtimes:
*Mon 5/20 - 7:30PM - Discussion afterwards*
Tues 5/21 - 7:30PM
Weds 5/22 - 5:00PM

Please come support our efforts to play these kinds of films at the Art
& host meaningful public conversations. Help me generate some
significance for our movies! Please share with your friends.

/2013 Oscar nominee (Best Foreign-Language Feature) NO stars Gael Garcia
Bernal as an a young ad executive who comes up with a campaign to defeat
Augusto Pinochet in Chile's 1988 referendum. Winner of the top prize in
this year's Directors' Fortnight in Cannes, No is little short of a
miracle: shooting on U-matic video tape to give the film the look of the
80s, Pablo Larraín has created a smart, funny and totally engrossing
political thriller with a powerful resonance for our times. /

/"Take the backroom political machinations of LINCOLN add in the showbiz
sleight of hand of ARGO, and you'll get something like N O, a cunning
and richly enjoyable combination of high-stakes drama and media satire."
-Liam Lacey, The Globe and Mail (Toronto)/

/"Like ARGO or ZERO DARK THIRTY the film dramatizes a fertile subject
--- in this instance, the language of advertising in modern politics."
-Joe Morgenster, Wall Street Journal/

/"A troubling, exhilarating and ingeniously realized film that's part
stirring political drama and part devilish media satire." -Andrew
O'Hehr, Salon.com/

*Karla Palma is a doctoral student of Media and Communications in the
University of Illinois. She is also a journalist from the Universidad de
La Frontera, with a specialization in Human Rights and public policies,
and is a Senior Fellow of the Melton Foundation, and a Fulbright
scholar. Currently she is studying zones of conflicts in Chilean mining
projects. She focuses on interactions between local communities, the
state, and global organizations. Karla has worked with different NGOs in
Chile, and has experience in the development of communication strategies
for resistance of communities affected by the violation of their rights,
the development of community media, and methodologies of participatory
research.

    Austin McCann theaustinmccann at gmail.com
    <mailto:theaustinmccann at gmail.com>
    Urbana, IL

About "Gasland II"

What: *First ever national showing of Gasland II with public appearance
by filmmaker and director, Josh Fox*

When:  Monday, May 20, 2013
6:30 PM- Doors Open
7:00 PM- Screening of Gasland II
9:00 PM Live Question and Answer Conversation with Josh Fox

Where:  Normal Theater, 209 North Street, Normal, IL
Why:  To raise awareness of the fight in Illinois over fracking

Sponsored by:  Illinois People?s Action
Contact:  Dawn Dannenbring (309) 827-9627  (office) 531-4433 (cell);
Don Carlson (309) 826-9627  (cell)
More info:
http://www.ecologyactioncenter.org/wp/bngreen/gasland-ii-national-premiere-director-josh-fox/

Details:  Gasland II is launching its national premiere in Normal, IL.
Writer, director, and filmmaker, Josh Fox, whose Gasland expose was
Oscar-nominated, will accompany the film and meet with the audience
after the screening.  The event will be free and open to the public.