[Peace-discuss] reminder: film "NO" tonight - on Chile under Pinochet - Monday 7:30, with discussion to follow, at Art Theater

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Mon May 20 22:23:25 UTC 2013

Reminder of tonight's film "NO" at the Art Theater -- Monday 5/20,
7:30PM, with discussion to follow (and on Tue and Wed, without
discussion).     Austin McCann writes:
-----
The film was a 2013 Oscar nominee (Best Foreign-Language Feature) &
stars Gael Garcia Bernal as an a young ad executive who comes up with a
campaign to defeat Augusto Pinochet in Chile's 1988 referendum. In
short, *it's about how we use the media for liberatory purposes in a
culture of advertising. *

Watch the trailer here. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGOcFPzx1H0>

After Monday's 7:30PM show, we're going to have a discuss about media
justice & Chilean politics led by Karla Palma*! It should prove to be a
stellar conversation - I hope you all can make it out.

Showtimes:
*Mon 5/20 - 7:30PM - Discussion afterwards*
Tues 5/21 - 7:30PM
Weds 5/22 - 5:00PM

Please come support our efforts to play these kinds of films at the Art
& host meaningful public conversations. Help me generate some
significance for our movies! Please share with your friends.

/2013 Oscar nominee (Best Foreign-Language Feature) NO stars Gael Garcia
Bernal as an a young ad executive who comes up with a campaign to defeat
Augusto Pinochet in Chile's 1988 referendum. Winner of the top prize in
this year's Directors' Fortnight in Cannes, No is little short of a
miracle: shooting on U-matic video tape to give the film the look of the
80s, Pablo Larraín has created a smart, funny and totally engrossing
political thriller with a powerful resonance for our times. /

/"Take the backroom political machinations of LINCOLN add in the showbiz
sleight of hand of ARGO, and you'll get something like N O, a cunning
and richly enjoyable combination of high-stakes drama and media satire."
-Liam Lacey, The Globe and Mail (Toronto)/

/"Like ARGO or ZERO DARK THIRTY the film dramatizes a fertile subject
--- in this instance, the language of advertising in modern politics."
-Joe Morgenster, Wall Street Journal/

/"A troubling, exhilarating and ingeniously realized film that's part
stirring political drama and part devilish media satire." -Andrew
O'Hehr, Salon.com/

*Karla Palma is a doctoral student of Media and Communications in the
University of Illinois. She is also a journalist from the Universidad de
La Frontera, with a specialization in Human Rights and public policies,
and is a Senior Fellow of the Melton Foundation, and a Fulbright
scholar. Currently she is studying zones of conflicts in Chilean mining
projects. She focuses on interactions between local communities, the
state, and global organizations. Karla has worked with different NGOs in
Chile, and has experience in the development of communication strategies
for resistance of communities affected by the violation of their rights,
the development of community media, and methodologies of participatory
research.

    Austin McCann theaustinmccann at gmail.com
    <mailto:theaustinmccann at gmail.com>
    Urbana, IL