[Peace-discuss] Peace Action: Escalate the Talk, not the War, in Syria

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Wed May 22 18:45:38 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kevin Martin, Peace Action <peaceact at mail.democracyinaction.org>
Date: Wed, May 22, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Subject: Escalate the Talk, not the War, in Syria
To: naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

**
    [image: Peace Action: Working for Peace Since
1957]<http://www.peace-action.org> [image:
Facebook]<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=CLO82pr0y4PB0LGwdItjv25N1pOG4sTO>[image:
Twitter]<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=l%2BKqPXzy21Rfi13S2TP6Cm5N1pOG4sTO>[image:
Blog]<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=85wUxeOuuELD2wwcPd%2FEO25N1pOG4sTO>[image:
Contact us]<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=3y%2FDB8i%2BN5mcIptRIumgTm5N1pOG4sTO>

Dear Robert,

Despite calls to the contrary from unsuccessful presidential candidate John
McCain and other “when your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like
a nail” know-nothing war-mongers, who apparently thought the disastrous
Iraq and Afghanistan wars were just ducky, the Obama Administration has so
far held off on a military escalation in Syria.

Of course, we are very concerned about the horrific humanitarian crisis
there, the allegations of chemical weapons use (by the Assad government?
the rebels? both? we just don’t know), Israel’s illegal bombing of alleged
Syrian weapons sites (perhaps also meant as a warning to Iran?), and
possible covert action or arming of rebel factions by the U.S. or its
allies.

However, to date, the Obama Administration has wisely not proceeded with
establishing a “no fly zone” or other direct U.S. military escalation, and
there is at least hope for an international/regional peace conference led
by the U.S. and Syria’s main ally, Russia. Such a conference should include
other key countries in the region, including Iran (France opposes Iran’s
inclusion).

Such a conference should address a wide array of concerns – an immediate
cease fire, an agreement to stop arming all sides in the conflict, access
for United Nations inspectors to investigate conflicting claims of chemical
weapons use, accountability for Israel’s illegal bombing, a possible Syrian
national unity government, establishment of a weapons of mass
destruction-free zone in the region and other national, regional and
international concerns.

Our goal here is not, however, to present some sort of ten point peace
plan, but to push back on reckless calls for war or military escalation.
Tell the president, “we need to escalate the talk, not the war.” Please
sign our petition<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=QYFxQVMkaXSboKU7XnziYG5N1pOG4sTO>,
and feel free to add your own thoughts, and to forward it to your friends
and family.

Humbly for Peace,

Kevin Martin
Executive Director
Peace Action

   Take Action:

Tell the President we want diplomacy not
escalation.<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=42kwrPX38EJmaJr%2F4GEium5N1pOG4sTO>
  CONNECT TO US:

[image: Facebook]<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=X06oMcCpZvDFUiNvEaezr25N1pOG4sTO>
 Find us on Facebook<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ZD8SWy9yxFIJWMj1CDA1bW5N1pOG4sTO>

[image: Twitter]<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=63749rxXhKPiUHxrX0RCsW5N1pOG4sTO>
 Follow us on Twitter<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=2rjz%2BzglW28zJjWSuNqDHm5N1pOG4sTO>

[image: Blog]<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=04yDNkiJjDTJAE%2FBGQOfZ25N1pOG4sTO>
 Read our blog<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=3W%2BVz8S3znkTVT%2FZoSGTdm5N1pOG4sTO>

[image: Contact
us]<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=V8vjJC466HxMJzhAVXPoGW5N1pOG4sTO>
 Contact us<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=sQUUTjS2%2B6ME9PZROVajxG5N1pOG4sTO>
    [image: Invest in
Peace]<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=KvFrplituh5vJ1TBnAevVW5N1pOG4sTO>
You are subscribed to Peace Action's Action Alert Network. You can unsubscribe
here<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=u6%2Bhp1%2BuIIBwhI4ckWFghm5N1pOG4sTO>
.
[image: empowered by Salsa] <http://www.salsalabs.com/?email>
**