[Peace-discuss] VoteVets: Stop the Senate from arming Syrian rebels

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu May 23 14:26:09 UTC 2013

VoteVets is in the house!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jon Soltz, VoteVets.org <info at votevets.org>
Date: Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Subject: Stop the Senate from arming Syrian rebels
To: Robert Naiman <naiman at justforeignpolicy.org>

**

[image: VoteVets.org]

Dear Robert -

Earlier this week, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee voted 15-3 in
favor of arming and training the Syrian rebels.

This is a misguided and dangerous idea.

I helped to train the Iraqi Army during my second tour, and their concern
is that many of the anti-Assad forces are the same terrorists they've
fought before and who continue to target them.

Plus, as Senator Tom Udall noted, once we introduce weapons, we have zero
control over them. The United States "could turn over the weapons we're
talking about and next day they end up in the hands of al-Qaida."

*Three Senators voted against the bill in committee, but we need you to
send a strong message to the other 97 that you oppose intervention in
Syria's civil war. You can do that here:*

http://action.votevets.org/syria<http://action.votevets.org/page/m/139e3e41/1cd94b61/34a9165c/6dc0cf33/3686230458/VEsH/>

Moreover, there is no winning scenario when we get involved in other
nations' civil wars and proxy wars.

On this point, Senator Chris Murphy said it best: "We have failed over and
over again in our attempts to pull the strings of Middle Eastern politics."

Let's not make the same mistake again.

Jon Soltz
@jonsoltz
Iraq War Veteran and Chairman