[Peace-discuss] let's make a green energy credit union

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Sat Nov 2 19:56:13 UTC 2013

I'm thinking about putting solar panels on my house.

A friend of a friend puts solar panels on people's houses, so I asked him
for an estimate.

According to his estimate, it will cost $13,000 to put solar panels on my
house that are supposed to be good for 25 years.

There is a 30% federal tax credit, so that amounts to about $10,000.

According to his estimate, this will pay for itself through reduced utility
bills over 10 years.

So, it seems to me, the only reason that somebody who wants to reduce their
carbon footprint wouldn't do this is that they don't have $10,000
available.

Why shouldn't we have a green energy credit union that says to people, you
want to put solar panels on your house, we'll lend you the $10,000. You pay
us back over the next ten years. So, this will essentially cost you
nothing. After you pay us back, you have 15 years of cheaper, greener
energy for your house.

?

--
Robert Naiman