[Peace-discuss] Electioneering / if not "here" then where?

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 17:23:17 UTC 2013

A few days ago, I was AGAIN asked by a superior (Keith McKenney this
time) to go out and ask a petitioner to move along.

She (the petitioner) was already standing on the public sidewalk and
she was not blocking the path. She and I reviewed her rights and she
stayed.

My superior was quite angry with me. I reviewed the petitioner's
rights with him but I don't think he was listening.

It was cold outside, so she only stayed about 15 minutes more.

I disagreed with her choice of candidate, but the petition was just to
get the person on the ballot for the primary.

As a staff member on the clock, I should not sign the petition even if
I agree with it.

But defend her rights, on the clock or off, YES.

Honestly, the Business where people come to petition should be honored
by having petitioners. It means we are a vital spot close to the
center of community life.

-karen medina