[Peace-discuss] Draft flyer for demonstration Sat. 5 Oct. 2-4pm, Main & Neil, Champaign

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Sat Oct 5 17:27:20 UTC 2013

AWARE ~ The Anti-War Anti- Racism Effort of Champaign-Urbana ~ October 2013

THE U.S. GOVERNMENT HAS SHUT DOWN
THINGS THAT HELP PEOPLE --
BUT THEY HAVEN'T STOPPED
KILLING PEOPLE...

1 Oct 2013 - "...wealthy individuals bought themselves a radical right party, believing - correctly - that it would cut their taxes and remove regulations, but failed to realize that eventually the craziness would take on a life of its own -  that the monster they created would turn on its creators as well as the little people" [krugman.blogs.nytimes.com].

5 Oct 2013 - "At least five civilians, including three children, have been killed in a NATO air attack in eastern Afghanistan, according to government officials. The civilians, aged between 12 and 20, were killed overnight on Friday while they were out hunting birds in the area of Saracha, a few miles from Jalalabad city..." [aljazeera.com].

In spite of the government shutdown, President Obama still picks out people to die under U.S. drone attacks every week. On what White House aides call "Terror Tuesday," the president's underlings compile a list of who should be executed, and the president then chooses from "baseball cards" who will die! The assassinations are carried out in secrecy: the administration doesn't release accounts of the people they kill. The Bureau of Investigative Journalism in London estimates that the president has killed 2,500-4,000 people with drones alone - including over 200 children.

Today the U.S. government is threatening, invading, and occupying countries in a vast circle with a 2500-mile radius around the Persian Gulf, from north Africa to the borders of India and China, a region sometimes called the "Greater Middle East." (The U.S. military calls it "Central Command.") This region has the world's greatest concentration of oil and natural gas, and our government is spending hundreds of billions of dollars, month after month, to control it. Control and not just access to these energy resources is what our government demands. We in fact import little of our own oil supplies from the Mideast - most of our imported oil comes from the western hemisphere, notably Canada and Venezuela - but control of world energy supplies gives the U.S. an unparalleled advantage over our economic rivals in Europe and Asia.

President Obama is killing men, women, and children around the world to "fight terrorism," he claims, but in fact he is dedicated to increasing terrorism, all over the world, with his global assassination campaign. He is running the biggest terrorist operation that exists, and the drone strikes are just part of it. The U.S. "Special Operations Command" - in fact, a 25,000-member private army run by the president - are American death squads, who by their own account are operating in more than a hundred countries around the world. No wonder we are hated in those countries.

If you object to the Obama administration's illegal and unjustified wars - and the lies about the reasons for them - please join us. People in Champaign-Urbana are represented in Congress by Senators Dick Durbin and Mark Kirk, and by Representative Rodney Davis. All three support the administration's wars and assassinations - and are in fact urging Obama to expand the killing. You can register your opinion by calling their Washington DC offices at 202-224-3121. Say that you are calling from Illinois' 13th Congressional District.

AWARE meets every Sunday evening 5-6pm at the White Horse Inn on John Street in Champaign, near the UIUC campus. We discuss the war and plan local activities. AWARE also produces a weekly hour of discussion on the war, AWARE on the Air, Tuesdays at 10pm on Urbana Public Television <urbanapublictelevision.org>. The program is recorded unrehearsed at noon on Tuesdays at the UPTV studios, in the Urbana City Council chambers. Members and friends of AWARE are invited to attend and participate in the discussion.

AWARE honors those who reveal the government's crimes - Manning, Assange, Snowden and others - and are persecuted by the Obama administration for it.