[Peace-discuss] Ye are many - they - Brennan, Petraeus, Obama et al. - are few

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Mon Oct 21 00:45:20 UTC 2013

...I met Murder on the way -
He had a mask like Castlereagh -
Very smooth he looked, yet grim;
Seven blood-hounds followed him:

All were fat; and well they might
Be in admirable plight,
For one by one, and two by two,
He tossed the human hearts to chew
Which from his wide cloak he drew...

--Percy Bysshe Shelley, from "The Mask of Anarchy," written on the occasion of the massacre of protestors by the British Government in 1819 at "Peterloo" in Manchester. Castlereagh - an analogue for Brennan, Petraeus, et al. - was British Foreign Secretary, 1812-22. His foreign policy from 1814 was to work with the leaders represented at the Congress of Vienna to provide a conservative end to the French revolutionary wars. Even more than prime minister Lord Liverpool, he was responsible for repressive domestic measures.

The entire poem is worth reading, particularly the last stanza:

..Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number -
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -