[Peace-discuss] War and commerce…

Brussel Morton K. mkbrussel at comcast.net
Mon Oct 21 17:55:35 UTC 2013

Too bad the word capitalism is unmentioned, but here's a pretty good recapitulation of what (our) wars are all about:

http://www.tomdispatch.com/blog/175762/tomgram%3A_william_astore%2C_war%21_what_is_it_good_for_profit_and_power/

An extract:

…As Russian revolutionary Leon Trotsky pithily observed, “You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you.”  If war is combat and commerce, calamity and commodity, it cannot be left to our political leaders alone -- and certainly not to our generals.  When it comes to war, however far from it we may seem to be, we’re all in our own ways customers and consumers.  Some pay a high price.  Many pay a little.  A few gain a lot.  Keep an eye on those few and you’ll end up with a keener appreciation of what war is actually all about.

No wonder our leaders tell us not to worry our little heads about our wars -- just support those troops, go shopping, and keep waving that flag.  If patriotism is famously the last refuge of the scoundrel, it’s also the first recourse of those seeking to mobilize customers for the latest bloodletting exercise in combat as commerce.

Just remember: in the grand bargain that is war, it’s their product and their profit.  And that’s no bargain for America, or for that matter for the world.

William Astore, a TomDispatch regular, is a retired lieutenant colonel (USAF).  He edits the blog contraryperspective.com and may be reached atwjastore at gmail.com.