[Peace-discuss] WCIA-TV (with video at link): Former lawmaker joins anti-war vigil

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Tue Sep 10 17:38:18 UTC 2013

WCIA-TV (with video at link): Former lawmaker joins anti-war vigil
http://www.illinoishomepage.net/story/former-lawmaker-joins-anti-war-vigil/d/story/aDMALnphSUCrqV8m6ANYng

URBANA -- Tuesday night, President Obama will speak to the nation about his
plan for military action in Syria. But people in Central Illinois are
pushing for a diplomatic solution.

An anti-war vigil was held Monday night. Participants are urging lawmakers
to vote against bombing.

Former Congressman Tim Johnson agrees. He says lawmakers have too much to
worry about on the home front before taking action overseas.

"You need to stand up for principal. You need to stand up for human lives,
we need to stand up for decency, we need to stand up for our pocket books,
none of which are being achieved by this bi-partisan war mania," he said.

An idea to avoid military conflict is gaining some traction. Russia is
proposing Syria surrender its chemical weapons to international control.

To see President Osama’s address, tune into WCIA-3 Tuesday night at 8:00 pm.

--
Robert Naiman
Policy Director
naiman at justforeignpolicy.org